Musculoskeletal physiotherapy is the very core of all the services we provide here at Metro Physio and encompasses a wide variety of techniques to deal with pain, weakness or limited range of movement. So if you are having difficulty doing the things you want or need to do then we would relish the opportunity to show you just how effective physiotherapy can be.
Musculoskeletal Physiotherapy – what to expect?
We always start with a very detailed assessment and examination to ensure we have a very clear understanding of the problem to ensure we provide the best possible treatment and rehabilitation. We will then use a wide variety of techniques and specialist treatments to achieve the desired results including osteopathic / chiropractic manipulation, joint / soft tissue mobilisations, a wide variety of sports / soft tissue massage techniques, acupuncture, electrotherapy, posture correction and specific exercise / rehabilitation programmes.
Musculoskeletal Physiotherapy – Treatments
Below is a brief description of just some of the many techniques we use to achieve the optimal outcome for our patients.
- Massage encompasses a variety of techniques and is given with sufficient pressure through the superficial tissue to reach the deep lying structures. It is used to increase blood flow, decrease swelling, reduce muscle spasm and promote normal tissue repair.
- Exercise Programmes encompassing a wide range of techniques to stretch and strengthen muscles, lengthen tissues, improve postural alignment, develop co-ordination and balance.
- Deep friction is an aggressive massage technique. It is applied across the tissue fibres. Pressure is given as deeply as possible. This technique is initially painful but can cause a numbing effect. It can be used to break down scar tissue, restore normal movement and prepare the injured structure for mobilisation or manipulation.
- Myofascial realease is a deep massage technique that breaks down any restrictions or adhesions within the interweaving connective tissue that supports and strengthens the connections between all the soft tissues of the body.
- Manipulation is a high speed, short movement thrust given at the end of available range. It is used to break down adhesions, remove a blockage within a joint and restore full painless movement. A click or noise may be experienced during this treatment
- Mobilisation is a manual technique where the joint and soft tissues are gently moved by the physiotherapist to restore normal range, lubricate joint surfaces, and relieve pain.
- Ultrasonic Therapy transmits sound waves through the tissues stimulating the body’s chemical reactions and therefore healing process, just as shaking a test tube in the laboratory speeds up a chemical reaction. It reduces tissue spasm, accelerates the healing process and results in pain relief.
- Interferential Therapy introduces a small electrical current into the tissues and can be used at varying frequencies for differing treatment effects. E.g. pain relief, muscle or nerve stimulation, promoting blood flow and reducing swelling/inflammation.
- Acupuncture is an oriental technique of introducing needles into the skin to increase or decrease energy flow to promote pain relief and healing.
- Injection Therapy is a specialist procedure, which needs the consent of your G.P, a non-harmful steroid and local anaesthetic are injected directly into the injured structure. It has a dramatic effect on removing inflammation and promoting healing.
- You can find our clinics across Greater Manchester and Merseyside so if you have pain, weakness or limited range of movement that is affecting the things you wish or need to do – Please click here to contact us as we would love to help you.